With Father’s Day happening this Sunday, we put together a list of ways to spend time with Dad as well as some fun gift ideas!
- Foot Golf—It’s not always easy for the whole family to take part in a round of golf with Dad, but you can play foot golf together! This mash up of soccer and golf is a great way to spend an afternoon on the beautiful course of Lake of the Woods.
- A Day at Meadowbrook Park—The Urbana Park District is planning a full day of activities in their spectacular Meadowbrook Park, with fun ways to spend your Father’s Day weekend. They’ll offer self-guided garden tours as part of the Champaign County Master Gardner’s Garden Walk all day, a bee-spotter BeeBlitz, part of a nationwide movement to photograph bees as a reminder of the importance of these pollinators, a kite flying competition, and their popular Strawberry Jam concert with local bands and fresh strawberries with ice cream. We can’t think of a better way to spend the day with dad.
- Go for a hike—Start your Sunday morning with a hike of our many natural areas. Allerton is offering a guided hike that morning, or you can head out to any of our five forest preserves in the area. You can even decide to camp this weekend at Middle Fork River, go for a hike, or even a swim at their beach!
If you’re looking for something local to get Dad, we’ve got some great ideas for you:
- Local Beer—If dad is a craft beer enthusiast, you’ve got your pick of gifts. With eight local breweries in the Champaign County area, you can pick up a growler or gift card of something local. Perfect for a backyard BBQ for Father’s Day!
- Hat from Elusive Society—Help dad stay cool and protected from the sun in the summer, while also making him look cool. Pick up one of these locally made hats from Elusive Society. You can find them at Rumours Hat Shoppe in Champaign or at SEE You CD & Vinyl in Urbana.
- Local history book from Jane Addams—If dad loves history, visit Jane Addams Book Shop in downtown Champaign for a book on local history. With three solid floors of books, you’re sure to find something to peaks Dad’s interests!