Roger Ebert's Favorite Films (And Where to Stream Them)
Roger Ebert looms large in the greater Champaign County area to this day. His prowess with the written word solidified him as one of the finest critics of our time. More importantly, he helped push criticism to a more casual, conversational discourse. Anyone could pick up the Sun-Times and understand his passion and perspective on film. A good number of his favorite films made his top 10 list back in 2012. Almost all of them are available to rent online, but some may even come with streaming subscriptions you already own. Here's the full breakdown of Roger Ebert's Favorite Films of all time.
Urbana Native Roger Ebert's Favorite Films
You can find most of these for rent on YouTube, Google Play, or Amazon Prime. Those that come with a subscription to an app are noted below! Roger Ebert's answers came from a 2012 Sight and Sound poll that asked important critics and directors to list their favorite films. The platforms that hold these films are up to date as of April 6, 2022!
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968) - Platform: HBO Max
- Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972) - Platform: Pluto TV
- Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979) - Platform: Amazon Prime Video for Rental
- Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941) - Platform: HBO Max
- La dolce vita (Federico Fellini, 1960) - Platform: Amazon Prime Video
- The General (Buster Keaton, 1926) - Platform: Amazon Prime Video
- Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980) - Platform:Amazon Prime Video for Rental
- Tokyo Story (Yasujirô Ozu, 1953) - Platform: HBO Max
- The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2010) - Platform: Hulu
- Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958) - Platform: Peacock
Celebrating film and Roger Ebert's influence
Apart from taking selfies outside the Virginia Theater with the Roger Ebert Statue, you can celebrate film and all the wonderful people who work in production, filming, and criticism at Ebertfest. 2022's festival is set for April 20-23, 2022! Check out this year's line-up and get your tickets or festival passes!
Visit the official Ebertfest website to keep up with updates. Likewise, keep up with events, news, and information from Visit Champaign County on our social media channels.